The Audiolab M-ONE is a compact integrated amplifier - the latest addition to the M-DAC family. While harnessing Audiolabs's acclaimed DAC and amp tech in a single diminutive box, an array of connections, both analogue and digital, aptX Bluetooth and USB ensure a thrilling sonic experience with up to 384kHz resolution audio.
An Amplifier For Modern Music Lovers
Outwardly, the Audiolab M-ONE is almost identical to the M-DAC+, Audiolab’s flagship DAC component. It sports the same compact aluminium case, small enough to sit unobtrusively on a desk, table or shelf, with the same central OLED display and elegant dual rotary control scheme. But while standalone DACs require a separate power amp to drive a pair of speakers, the M-ONE packs stereo power amplification of suitably high quality, plus preamp facilities for analogue sources as well as digital, into its diminutive chassis.
Now DAC’s magic
The M-ONE’s DAC section is equipped to process PCM audio data up to 32-bit/384kHz via USB, ensuring the M-ONE is primed to take full advantage of high-resolution digital sound both now and in the future. The USB input also supports DSD files (the digital audio system originally developed for Super Audio CD), offering compatibility with DSD64, DSD128 and DSD256 – a significant inclusion, as DSD has an important role to play in the developing hi-res audio scene.
Filters For All Music Sources
To get the most out of the Audiolab M-ONE’s advanced sound processing, included are a range of user-selectable filters to fine-tune sound from digital sources according to taste. A selection of three PCM filters and four DSD offer sonic tailoring options to cater the varying quality of audio delivered by different digital download file types and sources.
I’ve Got The Power
The preamp section mixes minimalist design with high-quality components, ensuring a short, direct signal path to maintain sonic purity. Volume is digitally controlled in the analogue domain, outputting directly to the Class AB power amplifier, which delivers an output of 40W per channel into 8 ohms – plenty of power to drive efficient modern speakers to room-filling volume levels without a hint of strain.
A low-noise linear power supply benefits all circuits from the DAC to the power amp, incorporating a shielded, precision-wound toroidal transformer and multiple power supply sections to keep crossover interference to a minimum. This uncompromised circuit design enables an open and amply scaled soundstage brimming with crisp detail and swift, precisely defined musical transients – when used with speakers of suitable quality, the M-ONE’s performance belies its diminutive size.
In addition to the main power amp stage, the M-ONE shares the same high-quality headphone amp featured in the M-DAC and M-DAC+, ensuring it’s just as capable with headphones as it is when powering speakers.
Specifications of Audiolab M-ONE:
- General description Integrated Amplifier with DAC, Bluetooth and Headphone Amp.
- Sampling Rate 32-bit / 192kHz (Optical, Coaxial), 32-bit / 384kHz (USB), 2.8MHz (DSD64), 5.6MHz (DSD128), 11.2MHz (DSD256)
- Input sensitivity 515mV
- Input impedance 10K
- Inputs 1 x USB A for apple devices, 1 x USB B for computer, 1 x COAX, 1 x OPT, 1 x Bluetooth, 2 x RCA ,1 x headphone
- 12v Trigger Yes
- Power Output (8 Ohms) 2 x 40W
- Power Output (4 Ohms) 2 x 60W
- Frequency response (-3dB) 10-30kHz
- Total harmonic distortion (THD) 0.01%
- Signal-to-noise ratio (S/N) 81 (1W @ 1 kHz)
- Outputs Speaker Terminal Outputs
- Dimensions 114mm x 247mm x 292mm
- Net weight 5.5kg
- 'In effect then, the M-ONE is a sort of affordable audiophile product for those with limited space, or those that don’t have either the time or the inclination to have a separates hi-fi system in their room.' (Hi-Fi Choice Magazine November 2016)
- 'The M-ONE sounds much more like a grown-up hi-fi system than its diminutive size would suggest... the M-ONE is a dry and clean-sounding performer, with a detailed midband and taut, tidy and tuneful bass. At the other end of the frequency spectrum, it sounds crisp and fairly spacious with a clear and inoffensive treble. Indeed, whatever type of music you play, you’ll always get this kind of tidy and detailed sound.' (Hi-Fi Choice Magazine November 2016)Indeed, given the chance with a good recording, the Audiolab can sound surprisingly big. Image placement is stronger than you’d expect for a one-boxer, and there’s a decent degree of depth.' (Hi-Fi Choice Magazine November 2016)
- 'A fine little single-box system, this strengthens Audiolab’s M-series range and gives punters like us the chance to get a compact all-in-one system with some real audiophile credentials. It’s pretty simple to use, flexible and sounds surprisingly good with no obvious power limitations for most people in most situations where it’s likely to find itself.' (Hi-Fi Choice Magazine November 2016)
- Read the complete review
M-ONE has now won Hi-Fi Choice Recommended, Hi-Fi Choice 5 Stars, Hi-Fi World 5 Globes and AVForums 9/10 – Best Hi-Fi Amplifier 2017.